Thursday, April 26, 2012

Using git to manage source code and more

Recently I learned how to use Git to manage source code (thanks to this guy). Let me tell you, it is such a fantastic tool! Especially when you have thousands of line of source code constantly evolving and you need to keep track of what changes.

In my case, I have been using it to manage the source code I wrote for my different scientific projects. And I will soon begin using it even to manage the writing of one paper.

Let me list the tutorials that I read and have been very useful in getting me started quickly:

  • Git Magic: I began learning git with this one. It goes straight to the point and illustrates the most important commands.
  • Pro Git: need more detailed information and have more time to spend learning git? Have a look at this one.

Quick reference for gitds:

I use SourceTree, a GUI on Mac, to check the evolution of the source code.



Changelog
May 24th 2012: replaced suggestion of GUI GitX -> SourceTree.

No comments:

Post a Comment