Sunday, August 21, 2011

References for learning Python

I list in this post the reading material that I used to learn Python. When I started learning it I had considerable previous experience with several programming languages. So the reading list below is targeted at people with some experience. In addition, my goal was to apply Python to science and data analysis.

If you don't have previous programming experience, one suggested starting point is the book Think Python: How to think like a computer scientist. It is available for free.

I learned the basic Python syntax with the official tutorial at http://docs.python.org/.

Fabricio Ferrari's lecture (in portuguese) illustrates what python is capable of for scientific data analysis and plotting. Inspiring.

If you don't learn object-oriented programming (OOP) you will not be able to explore the full potential of Python. I learned OOP from 
Introduction to Programming using Python, Programming Course for Biologists at the Pasteur Institute, Schuerer et al. Very clear exposition.

Tutorial on using Python for astronomical data analysis. How to plot spectra, read and manipulate FITS files and much more. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rodrigo,
    I think this page is also pretty good.
    "http://scipy-lectures.github.com/"
    I am still on early stages of learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ankit, thanks for the suggestion. That page looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete